Unhappy Family: How to Manage Conflict and Risk in Family Offices
Join Nate Imfeld, Senior Counsel at Foley & Lardner LLP, and David Shaw, Publishing Director at Family Business Magazine, who will identify, explain and offer ways to mitigate the most important risks involved in setting up and managing a family office.
Wednesday, May 11, 2022
2 PM ET | 11 AM PT
Family offices play a critical role in the wealth management and legacy of family businesses. While the benefits of having a family office are many, there are also risks — not only to the business, but also to the family itself. Families and family wealth inherently come with a lot of complexity that can cause conflict, affecting relationships, operations and financial capital.
This webinar will discuss some of those common points of conflict, including:
- Investment risk: Managing conflict arising from differing risk tolerances
- Management risk: How the management and structure of a family office can inadvertently create conflict
- Succession risk: How family offices can be used as succession vehicles, and the risks inherent in doing so
Senior Counsel at Foley & Lardner LLP
Nate Imfeld advises and represents clients, especially family-owned or controlled businesses, in solving complex generational succession and family office planning problems such as shareholder disputes, securities and trust litigation, and other fiduciary issues. Nate’s passion is helping his clients assess, manage, and navigate difficult situations to find creative solutions, both in and out of court, educating and guiding them through their legal concerns so they can make informed business decisions.
- Represented the majority shareholder group of a $250 million multigenerational family business in litigating a dispute over control of the company
- Advised a multigenerational business-owning family with $400 million dollars in assets, assessing and building out its family office
- Represented the beneficiaries of a significant family trust in litigation with a trustee who was also a family member
- Negotiated a favorable settlement for a privately owned professional services firm in a valuation dispute with a former shareholder
- Represented a special board committee investigating shareholder claims of wrongdoing against the company’s senior management
Nate earned his law degree from Marquette University Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2013), and his bachelor’s degree in philosophy from The American University (B.A., cum laude, 2008).
Nate has donated hundreds of hours of pro bono representation to indigent community members in litigation, and actively serves on the boards of several local nonprofits.
Nate is admitted to practice law in Wisconsin.
Publishing Director, Family Business Magazine
David Shaw is the publishing director of Family Business Magazine and its sister publication, Directors & Boards. With more than 30 years of experience in business-to-business and consumer media markets, he has served as an editor, publisher, publishing director, group publisher and group vice president of a variety of publications, trade shows, conferences and websites.
Prior to founding GRID Media, David served as senior vice president for Phillips Business Information Inc., where he oversaw nearly 100 discrete media properties, and helped build the business from $35 million to more than $100 million in annual revenues. He is a frequent author and speaker on issues related to business-to-business media, multi-generational family businesses and private and public company governance. He is married, with two grown children, one serving in the Navy and the other in law school.
• No cost to attend