Retiring CEOs need a plan for the future
An often-overlooked element in succession planning is helping retiring leaders plan for their personal transition. The challenge is that many business leaders cannot imagine where else they could continue to tackle interesting challenges and make an impact.
CEOs who are the most fulfilled are those whose post-leadership roles and responsibilities were at the right intersection of their skills and passions. Finding the purpose that will motivate and energize you is key to thriving in retirement.
Consider the following questions:
- Is it important to you that your projects make an impact? If so, what kind of impact motivates you?
- Is involvement at the forefront of new ideas or innovation energizing for you?
- Are you excited by efforts that affect many people’s lives?
- Do you want to be in a position to influence others?
- Would you like to be involved in projects related to a personal or family legacy?
- Is it important to be able to see the fruits of your efforts?
If you are honest with yourself, the way you respond to these questions can help you seek out and refine projects and roles where you will find greatest fulfillment.