Transitions East 2018
The conference for family businesses by family businesses
- Succession Planning:What Works and What Doesn’t
- Women’s Changing Roles in the Family Business
- Why I Joined/Didn’t Join/Left the Family Business
- Healthy Conflict:How Family Disagreements Can Go Right
- Five Things to Look for in Working for a Family Business
- Sleep Better! A workshop on what keeps family business shareholders awake at night
- Special Session: Fam Tank--NextGen Entrepreneurs Pitch Business Ideas to a Family Business Panel
- Smaller group sessions to facilitate discussion.
- Topic-based expert briefings to allow you and your family members to drill down more deeply into areas of specific interest or need.
- Some families bring family members who do not attend the conference itself. We've created the opportunity for these families to schedule a working family meeting prior to and after the conference, with a professional facilitator. (Limited space available, please contact Justine Wood at 703-850-5497 for details). Please note: our hotel room block allows families to book rooms before and after the conference, at our group rate, to extend the duration and value of your visit.
- Family Business Basics--a pre-conference session focused on key family business terms and ideas, and on how to get the most out of the conference itself.
- Speakers from family companies: Our focus is on speakers from family enterprises, sharing real-life problems and solutions.
- Intimate, open environment: Limited attendance, and a private "safe harbor" environment in which to openly share challenges and opportunities with other families.
- Collaborative discussions: Opportunities to work through family issues via guided discussions.
- No-Sell environment: Conference sponsors understand and commit to participating as thought leaders and experts, and are restricted from actively selling their products and services.
- Special content and sessions for next-generation and married-in family members
- Networking with families like yours: Hosted networking, opening reception, meals, breaks and workshops are all designed to allow you to meet many family enterprise attendees.
- Family focus: Brought to you by family-owned Family Business Magazine. We use family-owned or family-controlled hotels, transportation services, restaurants and service providers whenever possible. We believe in, and invest in, America's family businesses.
- Hosted family meetings: For attending families who want to meet before and after the conference, professionally facilitated. Limited availability.
Early Registration Pricing (before February 11, 2018)
Standard Pricing (after February 11, 2018)
Transitions East 2018 is sponsored by Family Business Magazine, and is the only conference created for family companies, by family companies.
Who Should Attend
Attendance at this conference is strictly limited to owners, shareholders, family members, in-laws and executives of 75 family businesses/enterprises. The conference is designed to facilitate conversation on important family issues among generations. There is special programming for family business members aged 15-29, and for those who have married-in to the family business.
The Transitions conference is for family companies and family offices of all sizes. Approximately one third of attendees represent companies with revenues of under $25 million, one third of attendees have revenues of between $26 million and $300 million; and one third have revenues of over $300 million. And approximately a third of attendees are in the third generation or less; a third were in generations 4 and 5; and third were part of companies more than 6 generations old. What all attendees share is a desire to see their family enterprise grow successfully through generational transitions.
68% of attendees at Transitions are coming to the conference for the first time; 100% of attendees at our last conference say they'll attend again, and that they'd recommend the conference to other family members.
NOTE: All attendees will be vetted to ensure that they are family company leaders, members or shareholders. This event is only for family-run companies or enterprises. Senior advisers to family companies may attend ONLY with the family company they represent.
For further information, contact conference director David Shaw at (301) 963-6162 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration fees do not include hotel or travel expenses. Due to the customization of the conference seating and session assignments, registrations need to be submitted at least one week prior to the start of the conference. On-site registration is not available.
The dress code for the conference is business casual to casual. Meeting room temperatures will vary, so please bring and wear the appropriate layers of clothing to ensure your personal comfort.
Propose a Topic or Speaker
Contact Peter Begalla, Conference and Education Director, (386) 785-7856 or email email@example.com. Please note that the conference extends a complimentary registration for conference speakers. In addition, conference speakers are featured in Family Business and Directors & Boards magazines and websites. Speakers are responsible for their own expenses, to include hotel, meals, and travel. Proposals promoting company products or services will not be considered.
Advisers and Sponsors
If your company provides services to family businesses, please considering sponsoring the conference. Access to Transitions conference attendees—by attending the conference, a tabletop exhibit and/or by participating as a moderator/panelist is only available to conference sponsors. Alternatively, if you are an adviser to family businesses, you may register to attend the conference with a family member for a business you advise. Contact Mike Bachman at (215) 405-6070, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students who are interested in attending the conference should apply through the standard attendee registration process (submit a registration form for consideration). Complimentary student registrations are not available.
Press passes are not available for this conference.
What Attendees Say About Transitions
The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club, from family-owned Marriott Hotels, is near the area's most popular attractions, including the Salvador Dalí Museum, the Morean Arts Center, Tropicana Field and a variety of pristine Florida beaches. The hotel also offers easy access to Tampa International Airport (TPA), St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport (PIE) and a variety of shopping and restaurants. Guest rooms feature stylish decor, expansive marble bathrooms, plush bedding and LCD TVs. The Vinoy Renaissance is also home to five celebrated restaurants, a full-service spa, beautiful 18-hole golf course, ultramodern fitness center, and shimmering outdoor pool.
Our special conference room rate is $269 plus tax (net non-commissionable), and reservations must be made before March 21, 2018 to earn this rate. You may book online by clciking here.
To book by phone, call:
Reservations Toll Free: 1-888-789-3090
Reservations Local Phone: 1-888-303-4430
Ask for the Transitions East 2018 Conference group rate.