It was a restaurant owner's worst nightmare.
In 1996, a customer contracted salmonella after eating at one of five Duke Sandwich Shop locations then owned by the Smart family in the former textile town of Greenville, S.C. And then another person got sick. And then another.
Within a few days, the state health department determined that the salmonella outbreak, traced to spreads made at the restaurant, had affected more than 200 people. It was the worst outbreak of salmonella in South Carolina history, a state record that stood until 2005.